Wednesday, September 08, 2010

My kid Chelsea

At some point in my life I had thought if I ever have a child, a girl, I would name her Chelsea. But that was not part of my life plan as it turned out so no children to occupy my world and life. Well sorta....my kids just turned out to be furkids! So when a little female puppy was preparing to come into my life, I had her name picked out.

Yesterday Dr Brown from UT called to say the tumor was osteosarcoma, bone cancer, an aggressive type of cancer. Typically you will see that it has spread elsewhere by the time the tumor is discovered (I think that is what she said) and that it is more common in the limbs. We discussed treatment options and she said she would e-mail a written report this morning of what we talked about.

I joined two on line forum groups, one for canine cancer, one for bone cancer in canines. It helps to hear from others who have gone before. There is a lot of support there as well as from friends and family. That sure makes it easier.

This morning Chelsea ate well which makes me very happy. I started giving her meds prior to her meals and this has helped. Yesterday we went for a walk in the a.m. and she enjoyed her time out sniffing about for pee-mail etc. Roxie has tried to get her to play and she doesn't really want to but will offer a quick shuffle just to give Roxie what for.

Now I have to decide about a treatment plan and see about other vets out there to find out if there is something less expensive than UT. I will call my vet today and talk to him.

Time to get the day started, horses need to be fed and I have to head to Wal-Mart for orientation with Hallmark to start my job as a part time merchandiser for them.

House is a mess company is coming oh well!

2 comments:

Kat said...

http://www.cancertutor.com/Cancer/Budwig.html

I have read about this for years.

Kathy Baker said...

Thanks Kat, she is already getting some cottage cheese as well as salmon oil. Lew Olson has commented before on the K9 Nutrition list about flax. I appreciate the link though!

"What we have discovered in the past, especially with commercial dog food, is that it was loaded with omega 6. This in turn created skin and coat problems for dogs, more arthritis pain
and a highly possible set up for cancer. EVEN when dog foods started adding omega 3, we found that omega 3 is so fragile it wouldn't survive packaging.
Omega 3 loses its potency when exposed to heat and light. So commercial pet foods were still over loaded with omega 6.

So yes, omega 6 causes inflammation, unless omega 3 is added. But that is difficult, unless you feed fish oils, or fish rich in omega 3. Dogs cannot process the omega 3 from plant oils such as flax and hemp, as they can't convert the ALA source found in plant oils (animal based omega 3 fatty acid sources are already converted). I really cringe when I see people
recommended cottage cheese and flax oil to fight cancer for dogs, because it is counterproductive and does more harm than good.