Sunday, January 10, 2010

Tracking

Me and the dogs went for a walk this morning up to the top and through the woods. It was fun to look at all the different tracks left in the snow. Where the horses meandered around, where the neighborhood homeless dog cruised through and where the wild creatures hopped around. It was also good when I let the dogs loose with leashes dragging and I went one way to follow some human tracks and they went the other way. I could catch up with them by following their tracks. The human tracks were my neighbors as I had seen him with his bright orange hunting vest on walking to the top of my neighbor's field day before yesterday. His tracks were in the woods, who knows what he was hunting for. I thought about posting some no trespassing signs up there but I won't for now.

This is the neighbor's adult son who lives off the government along with his parents and who once considered me a lending institution until I put a stop to that. I am gonna whine now so you might want to skip this part. I so want to say to them: "I am not a bank, I am not a taxi service, (He called last night just as it was getting dark and asked me if I would take him to his sister's, I said no, I didn't want to drive in the dark on slick roads). I am not a trashman (I pick up their debris that blows over the fence into my side paddock) and I am not a phone company!!!" I don't feel bad for them, they chose the life they lead, but I don't have to a party to it. I wonder if he found a ride last night....

There was a little new snow from last night but tomorrow it will start to melt away as the temps get above freezing. If I had some cardboard I would climb up to the top and sled down just to say I did it. Maybe next time.

The walk today made me think of the book "The Tracker" by Tom Brown. Great book that I very much enjoyed and may have to read again here soon.

No comments: