Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Early Winter?

Well we have had snow last week and this week. Yesterday we had a pretty good dusting and today it is starting to melt. Tomorrow it should warm back up to more normal temps the weatherman says! (High of 55.) I am wondering if this is an indication of what are winter will be like this season, colder than normal?!

The snow falling has reminded me of the first time I ever saw snow as a young adult. I was visiting in the Pittsburgh PA area for Christmas. My arrival was in the p.m. and driving to my destination I was curious about what was next to the road....sheer rock from where the road was cut into the mountain! It was cold and dark, but the next morning when I awoke I was greeted by a winter wonderland. I quickly dressed and made my way out into this new-to-me white world and went on a little hike. I came out of some woods right next to a pasture with two horses. I startled the horses and they were prancing around in the snow. At that time in my life I was horseless and I felt like I had died and gone to heaven to witness the playful antics of the two horses with the steam coming from their noses on a cold wintry Christmas morning. It has always been one of my fondest memories.

Yesterday evening, just as the stars were coming out and the sun was offering its last glimmer of light, my horses decided they would put on a show, charging up the hill over the freshly fallen snow. The two mini's had already started their trek up the hill and Ari soon joined them, encouraging them to hurry hurry to the top! Spirit watched from the bottom and then he leaped into a canter and reached the top and stood there alone. The pines and spruces behind him were sporting their snowy needles and the sight really was lovely. Spirit was listening to the others charging around the back field (I am assuming so since the thunder'ess sound of hooves made its way down to my ears). Cannon was drinking from the trough and he then turned and made his way to the top in a leisurely manner. Soon there was only the sight of the freshly fallen snow, a crescent moon and one star in the western sky and dark clouds to the south. I stood enjoying this sight while listening to the continuous sound of running hooves. And then my view changed to Ari and Spirit coming out from the back field, tails and heads held high as they careened their way back down the hill. I silently cringed thinking about the groundhog holes, but my boys are surefooted on their home terrain and other than a few sliding steps at the end they were soon back at the bottom full of p*ss and vinegar as they mock battled in their usual playful way. The full hay nets must have been more enticing than the remaining grass in the back field because they came into the run in shed to eat. I headed inside to warm up.

Here mid morning, the snow is quickly melting and I am happy to be toasty warm inside! My plans for the day include some artwork and snuggling with the hug-a-bear dogs on the couch.

Speaking of dogs, I receive a canine catalog that is just a hoot and I always add many of its items to my wish list. The catalog is: http://inthecompanyofdogs.com/ . Check it out!

The other thing on my wish list is a book by Dr. Nancy Kay, "Speaking for Spot", http://www.speakingforspot.com/index.html . This book should be on everyone's shelves who own dogs and uses a vet!

No comments: