Today while moving the therapy center's stuff into storage (they bought property and are building a new center), I met a gal named Julie who volunteers at the center. She works on a different day than when I am there so this was our first chance to say howdy. She is a 25 yr old woman who really is a miracle. She has a STAINLESS STEEL HEART! No kidding! She has had 6 heart surgeries since the age of 3 and they finally replaced her heart with a metal one. (Don't fly with her, lol!)
She told me her story and I was in awe. But the coolest thing is she opened her mouth and had me put my ear close and I could hear her heart, it sounded like a clock!! She obviously is a very special person to be on this earth alive and well and able to be an inspiration to the students at the center.
A metal heart, who would have thunk it!! It was a joy to meet her, and I am glad she is part of our program! She said this was the first place she has ever "worked", where no one says she can't do something!
It was hard work packing up and moving, and then I moved a horse to a volunteer's home where he will stay for the winter and got semi lost driving home so I had a very long day. But I have to say, meeting Julie was a delight and it made the whole day worthwhile for me. She reminds me of the actress Minnie Driver.
Saturday, November 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment