Sunday, August 12, 2007

Maters!

Do you know if you go to a road side vegetable stand here to buy fresh tomatoes, the farmer calls them "maters"? Well when the season was just starting way back when I was shopping at the Farmer's Co-Op and they had little baby tomato plants so I bought ONE. I brought it home and put it in a pot cuz a cashier at Super Wal Mart had said she grew her mater plants in pots on her porch. I thought that was a good idea. But my porch would not get enough sun for that so I stuck it out back by the chain link fence. The next week the yard guy's son WEED-WHACKED MY TOMATO PLANT TO THE GROUND! Boy was I p'o'ed. Well I took what was left of it out of the pot and stuck it in the TN red soil and left it there. Remembering to water it now and again. I stuck a big step in post by it so the kid wouldn't whack it again.

The recent rain really caused it to shoot up. Yesterday I noticed a wee tiny tomato on it! I was SO EXCITED. So I looked closer and saw how the tomato had grown from the flower and I had 3 more flowers! Today I went out and another tiny tomato had sprouted out of the flower. I watered it yesterday and danced around saying, "looky looky I got my own mater plant!" I think I have gone batty.....

Pictures of course to follow of my maters! Right before I eat them!!

No comments: