Thursday, January 12, 2012
My Sister's duck story!
Donna wrote: "OK, here goes.......... One Spring day my husband, John, came home with two tiny baby ducks. He's been out fishing on the river and found them all alone and shivering at the water's edge. He looked around and found no adult ducks so he picked them up and brought them home. Since I had a chicken coop we decided to put them under a hen who was sitting on newly hatched chicks. The next morning when I opened the coop out came the hen with all her chicks and the baby ducks following. She had accepted them as her own. A few days later we lost one of the baby ducks, but the other one was raised by the hen. We discovered as it matured that it was a drake (male) Mallard who I named Chuck, and who developed beautiful Mallard coloring. One day I decided to take him down to the creek which ran through our property to see if he would jump in for a swim. He hated the water. Wanted nothing to do with it. I even carried him into the creek so he'd have to swim out. He squawked, screamed and flew to the bank. I had also noticed that he had been trying to mount our chickens and was making some gawd awful sound almost like crowing. He was trying to crow like the rooster! I thought, OMG this bird thinks he's a chicken. Months later a small group of Mallard ducks flew into our creek, feeding and playing in the water. I noticed that Chuck went down to the water to watch them, almost as if he knew they were like him. Still being afraid of the water he returned to his chicken flock. The next day the ducks returned to the creek and I watched as Chuck went to the water's edge to watch them. He finally joined them in the water and I believe I saw a light go on in his little head. He could swim!! After a couple of days of bonding with the ducks Chuck flew off with them. I believe his new flock returned to the farm several times before leaving for good. Good luck Chuck!!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment