
I haven't had a chance to post here because of the tornadoes that came through and tore up my friend's farm last Thursday. I have been SO busy.
On Wed 4/27 in the evening, I asked Chelsea if she was ready to go to the great beyond and she answered yes. On Thursday I made arrangements to drive her for her last car ride to UofT for our final farewell. Her vets were waiting for us and we were ushered into a quiet softly lit family room. Chelsea got settled in after getting a catheter put in her vein and I spent the last half hour of her life loving on her, calling her all my favorite nicknames and telling her what a great friend she had been to me. Each person there (the 2 vets, and my friend Angi) when they looked in her eyes and spoke to her she looked back with a steady peaceful gaze making direct eye contact. She was so ready to get out of that old useless body.
So at approximately 2:30 on Thursday, the day after the horrific tornadoes that ripped through our area, Chelsea slipped peacefully away. I was relieved that she was no longer suffering, but my heart ached at the thought of no longer having her at my side. We drove back to Midway, I greeted Roxie and let her sniff Chelsea's belongings.
Chelsea's body remained at the University for a necrospy and so they could harvest some of her cancer cells for their research. Chelsea had a generous spirit and I know she would have wanted to help other dogs in her own way. Her remains were cremated and I will be picking the urn up at the end of this week here at a local company. After she was gone, I cut some of her softest fur from her body, along the back of her neck where the collar use to be. I saved it, for what I am not sure. I came home to so MANY things that were of Chelsea, the rugs on the floors so she would have traction, the towels to clean up her water dribbles, her special foods in the freezer, her many medications on the kitchen counter. Her baby toys, she had for 11 years, her huge bed with her name on it. My house was FILLED with Chelsea in more ways than one. And now it is empty of her, except for the memories which I only have to sustain me when I cry and tell her how much I miss her and how much I love her.
Time heals; of this I am sure. She is on the arms of an angel, she will always fly in my heart and beyond. She is sorely missed.
(Photo taken August 2009 Lake Mary Florida at my sister's house)
2 comments:
still sad today
sad every day......
Post a Comment