Sunday, February 27, 2011

SIx Month Celebration

On the 25 of this month, Chelsea celebrated an anniversary of sorts. It was six months from the date of her bone cancer diagnosis (official by UT). Tonight we are having a celebratory meal of grilled steaks, (though hers will be lightly seared as she eats mainly raw, by choice). Last weekend she had a stomach upset and we are not sure what caused it. I had the stomach bug a week before so maybe she caught a virus. The UT vet said it is the time of year that they see this sort of thing. So for 3 days she was not feeling so good but then she rebounded. I took her off her NSAID just in case it was from that but started her back on it a week later. The local vet gave me some meds for diarhhea and the UT vet talked to me about my plan of action which was all on board. I feel confident that Chelsea will continue to do well.

In Hospice care they talk about anticipatory grief and I feel that is something I have been dealing with on and off for a while now. Mostly my days are focused on the positive aspects of Chelsea's well being. But frankly last weekend threw me for a loop and when Chelsea recovered so quickly I sat there and talked to her through my tears, thanking her for choosing life and choosing to hang with me for a while longer. I am looking forward to celebrating Chelsea's 11th birthday on April 16th!

Spring weather keeps popping in here in TN and it sure feels good to be able to open the windows, listen the the birds chirping and knowing Spring really is just around the corner.

Work continues to keep me busy, either Hallmark or hoof care, or horse training, massage or dog training. Phew! I am blessed to have so many wonderful people needing my services!

Today it has rained off and on all day. Hard to get much done outside but that is ok I think the rain will bring good things, green grass for one! I am tired of brown. It is amazing how fast everything starts to turn green. The bulbs are sending up pretty flowers along the road sides and in people's yards. The skunks are out in full force, so many dead ones on the roads. Gives new meaning to that song with the lyrics: "Dead skunk in the middle of the road stinkin' to high heaven!"

Well guess it is time to go marinate one of those steaks that is going on the grill later. I use the smoker I brought here from Florida with charcoal instead of gas. Charcoal really makes for the best grilling in my opinion, that and some soaked mesquite wood, (that and a really good marinade, thanks Dad!) Heavenly scents coming soon!

I miss all my friends and family in Florida!

1 comment:

Papillon Pals said...

Glad all is going well with Chelsea, though she and you are still in my prayers.

Glad Spring has finally arrived. Hope you have time for another garden.

Love ya Sis