Sunday, March 27, 2011

Chelsea Update!

This past Tuesday (22nd) I took Chelsea to our local vet as she has a skin issue. It seemed to have cropped up right after she had the stomach issue. The vet thought it was a staph infection so he gave me some antibiotics for her and special shampoo. I took her to the groomer's the next day for a special bath and spa day. The groomer said she did great. The vet said he thought she looked good and her blood work was good (all within normal range) except for the white count which was high and he thought it was related to the skin issue. We talked about her hind end weakness as it has been progressing steadily albeit slowly. He had me walk her outside so he could watch. He felt it was related to her spine and possibly the cancer having spread there. He was going to call her vets at UT and talk to them about this. Overall he was really pleased with how she looked (except that she was about 5 lbs too heavy) weighing in at just over 100 lbs. She has held steady at 95 for most of her life. He wanted me to bathe in the special shampoo every other day, yeah right like that is going to happen. She has a ton of fur and takes forever to dry. I will spot bath her though where the skin is still a little crusty. Today we went for a walk, the second one this week. Her ability to place her hind limbs is obviously worse, even since Tuesday. BUT, she still enjoyed her walk and eating some horsey pate. I kept Roxie close to ensure a slow pace for Chelsea. Once in the yard I went inside and grabbed a towel to wrap under her belly and help her get inside. She knew exactly what I was going to do and immediately walked the rest of the way in the house, and promptly attacked Roxie because she looked at Chelsea's new $1 squeak toy. Geez! Of course she fell over in the process. I am going to get some cheap rugs to spread on the tile so there are less slippery places for her. I wish I had an ottoman beside the bed that would give her a leg up on hopping on the bed though she still manages to get up there and on the love seat. Maybe she won't make it to her birthday though I will remain optimistic. When the vet saw her he thought she would and for some time after it. But this steady progression of the hind end proprioception problem (inability to tell where her hind legs are) in the last few days tends to make me think getting to April 16th will be an accomplishment. I can get spinal x-rays but I am thinking what is the point and I am so broke at this point I don't think I can afford them anyway. She goes back to the vet for a follow up visit on Tuesday, I will talk with him them about the necessity of more diagnostics. Overall I am ok with this, though it brings me to tears even to write all of this here. She is a tough old dog and a joy to have around. I was laughing and singing along to some music on American Idol Thursday night and the intensity of her stare and tilted head as she watched me as if; mother had finally lost it made me laugh that much more. She is so keen to notice everything I do and say and feel. She is SUCH a part of me, I can't imagine her no longer being here. But for NOW, today, I will stay inside, forget the outside chores and just enjoy her with her silly new toy. So that is the update.....

No comments: