Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Drive To Work




These are sequential photos of my drive to work. The mountains in the background are the ones I take guided trailrides on. I LOVE the drive to my job. I enjoy seeing new sights and I enjoy learning about the ridge of mountains. Today the new sights were fields of hay being mowed and the hay being rolled into round bales. Some farmers put plastic around the bales to protect them.
There is always something interesting to see on the drive to my job. I have no complaints about traffic or unfriendly drivers. Everyone you pass on the country roads waves to you, and it is not the one finger wave lol!
Today we drove into the national forest using a four wheel kabota cab car, not sure what it is called, way bigger than a golf cart, to clear the trails. There were a few trees that needed to be cut down that had fallen across the trails. Mostly it was lopping back low hanging branches. Myself, Cody and a young man from Inverness FL did the job. With three people we were done in a couple of hours. Cody has a special permit to be able to use a chain saw in the forest. Forest rangers are very particular about vehicles in the forest and chain saws. We also picked up trash. Mostly beer and sodas cans, sigh. I hate litter bugs. Next week we will take a different trail and do the same. The Kabota makes it way easier than doing this by riding horses up there. Red the resident hound dog went with us. Cody pointed out a hiking trail to the fire tower. It was marked by a pine tree that had been clawed by a bear. Pretty cool, not so cool if the bear was near by!
We are having a heat wave, temps in the 80's. 10 degrees above normal, yikes! I put shorts on this afternoon when I got home. A friend gave me some cantaloupe seeds for my garden. The day before another friend gave me raspberry clippings to plant. Both plants love POOP, which is a good thing cuz we have plenty of that here on the farm!
I have a lot more to plant in the garden, but already my spinach has popped up and I have romaine planted, brussel sprouts, broccoli, red peppers, herbs and something else I am forgetting. I am going to plant maters, more herbs, squash, and lima beans and then I think I am done. Oh egg plant, want to try that this year.

2 comments:

Lasell Jaretzki Bartlett said...

Clearly you have some wonderful karma or a clear ability to draw to you some most pleasant situations. Kudos to you! I'm glad you have all this goodness in your life, and shortly will add the annual time with Harry nearby!

Kathy Baker said...

Thanks LJB! Nothing like creating one's reality. Can't wait to see Harry!