Saturday, August 16, 2008

Olympics, Equestrian, what else?

Thanks to the advances of technology, who needs cable to watch the Olympics?! Just go on the Internet and watch it live. Which is what I have been doing off and on as I only have basic cable and don't get the channels showing what I care about watching, show jumping and dressage! I have enjoyed watching and find myself noticing certain things. In dressage some of the more brilliant movers are not as fluid in their transitions. I find that I look for that fluidity more than I do the brilliance. The continuity between movements, a certain flow and dance. Some of the riders are interesting to watch as well. Some are very quiet and elegant, some look like they should be performing the test without the horse they move their bodies so much! I can't help but notice hooves and it makes me sad that all these horses are shod, and look at the PERFECT footing they ride and train on! Who needs shoes for cryin' out loud? And the contracted heels and tall feet, ouch, this must hurt these horses! Another pet peeve I notice in all the equestrian disciplines without fail is the riders whacking their horse's necks at the end of their rounds. I wish someone would whack them across their shoulders like that and perhaps they would think differently about how to express their gratitude or excitement. A soothing gentle rub would have more meaning to their horses, I bet!

The show jumping is always exciting and the first qualifying course was a good one. Really showed the horses' rate-ability and scope. My body is always in gallop mode when I watch the jumpers and I can't sit still.

Here is a neat behind the scenes pictorial of the equestrian lodgings. I enjoyed looking and reading about where the horses and riders spend the majority of their time.
http://www.chronofhorse.com/index.php?cat=1212907081266973&ShowArticle_ID=1131508081902775

No comments: