Sunday, June 29, 2008

Tennessee Life


Some things make me smile about TN. The weather man in June talking about a cold front passing through our area. I don't think I ever heard the weather man mention a front being cold in Fl, in the summer!

Yesterday I guess that front was working our way. The breezes were warm and gentle and reminded me of the Florida beaches, but without the humidity. Not to say it isn't humid here, it is actually esp. today as we are getting rain off and on. YAY! We need the rain badly!! The humidity is listed at 63%, ha!

Blackberries are beginning to ripen. I think I will gather some up for my morning's cereal. I remember as a child in Florida, picking them in the empty field next to the house. Yum, yum!
The botflies are among us and annoying the heck out of the horses. They were running like mad to get away from them yesterday. When they stopped under the pine trees I was able to kill a botfly, much to their relief. They don't bite or sting but they certainly bother the boys!
The garden is slowly producing. I have some fresh yellow squash to go with my dinner tonight and I have been getting romaine lettuce almost daily for a salad. The tomatoes are still green, and no beans or okra yet. The squash plants are really large and create too much shade. I should have paid closer attention about how far apart everything should be planted.....next year I will definitely have a bigger garden area. It has been fun though.

1 comment:

Lasell Jaretzki Bartlett said...

Your growing season is definitely ahead of ours!

I love your tale of the bull. We had a very friendly bull. The only time I didn't like being around him was if I had a bucket of feed to lure them back in after they'd gotten out. He was never mean, just pushy as all get out! My husband never thought about balancing the draw with the drive, so "Big Boy" would come and plunge his head into a bucket, regardless of efforts to keep my bubble of space free and clear of him!

I started riding herd when it was time to bring them home from a wandering. I'd rather drive them home than lure them home any day!