Sunday, June 15, 2008

What's wrong with this picture?




Well for one, my back field is not a cow pasture! It is a horse pasture! But this morning as I was walking by my back window with my breakfast plate in my hand this is what I saw in my pasture! My neighbor's cows. I decided to take a picture and as I walked out my front door I saw the herd of deer in my front pasture in the corner by the road. My camera was in my truck and by the time I got it the deer had headed into the woods. I guess the cows must have startled them.
I ate my breakfast, then called my neighbor to let him know where his cows were and I headed out to lock up the horses in the paddock and see if I couldn't herd the cows back the way they came. A young heifer was down by the round pen and I sshed at him to send him back to the others. Some were in the woods where I have been clearing a trail (Guess that is why the deer were down front.) I got a horse stick thingy to use as a longer arm and walked up the hill encouraging them to go the way they came. Then I saw the bull. And he is one big dang bull! He went to and fro as the cows disappeared into the woods but he wouldn't go with them, he still had a few from the herd grazing in the corner field. I went that way, sticking close to the trees in case the bull decided I was the enemy and I ssshed at the mama and baby cows to get them moving along with the others. Well before long it seemed all were out of my pasture, except for that dang bull! He was not figuring out how to leave. I couldn't beleive for such a big thing how quiet he was, he snuck out of the woods at one point near me and I about died. I stuck to the trees, thinking he was getting upset that his herd had left. I went and started taking down some electra-braid fence line so that he would have a clear path. He had disappeared down towards the house, I looked down the hill and saw him and said Hey Bull come here, well darn if he didn't come up there, but not the way I wanted him to. He was coming right towards me, and I was ducking behind a tree again. I said GIT! And waved my horse wand at him. He disappeared into the woods. He would make a low moo sound, it reminded me of a lion's roar. I hightailed it down to the house and decided I would get my truck and drive back up, maybe he would want to follow my truck. I just wanted to get him near the path the other cows had taken. I drove up in my truck and he was all the way back in the corner field near the fence. Poor thing, he was lost and alone. I parked my truck near the path he needed to take and called to him. I finally saw my neighbor and waved to him. He parked his tractor in his pasture and made his way over through the woods. He had a peice of wood about 8 ft long, now that was a stick! I drove him over to the bull and he herded him back to the woods with me using the truck as a cow pony. The bull went into the woods and found his way back I guess.
Now my pastures stink of cow pies! PU! I spent the rest of the morning finishing the trail path in the side woods. I just recently learned about sweat bees. A gal from GA at the Harry Whitney clinic had explained what they were. I guess I found some baby sweat bees today and they stung me good. I just kept trucking on up the woods as best I could. I still have a very small area to clear then I am done! Well that is until I ride a horse through them and figure out what high branches I missed! The blackberries are coming out and I felt bad when I had to cut down some of them, but oh well. Good pickins' soon though, unless the deer get them all.
My blue birds had been busy feedin' their babies or baby. Today I was in my bedroom and heard some squawking. I looked out and saw Mama bird flying outside the bird house but not going in. I knew what it was before I went out, yup a black snake. I went to the kitchen and got a long fork for grilling and went out to the bird house and gave that snake what for. I finally got him to jump out, with the baby bird in his mouth. It was too late, he had already started to swallow that baby bird and it was dead. There weren't any other babies in the nest. I left the baby the snake had dropped below the bird House so mama and daddy bluebirds could see it. I felt sad, they had been so busy feeding that baby every day. Can't fault the snake, it was easy pickin's. But still.....
That was my Sunday. Temps are lower for the next few days. Wed the high is 80 wahoo!

No comments: