

This morning during my walk with Chelsea and Roxie I spoted a killdeer mama doing her broken wing act. I tried to find the nest but couldn't. Finally late this afternoon I was far enough away to get a general idea where it was before she rushed off to perform her wounded act. I marked the area with an arrow and went and got my camera. I was surprised at how big the eggs were. I suspect there will be hatchlings any day now. After the walk this a.m. I was mowing the back yard and noticed a rather large baby bird on the ground. I stuffed it into a nesting box on a pole thinking it had fallen out of it, but then realized there were different babies in there so I removed it but that upset those babies and they started jumping out. I was trying to hold the first wounded baby bird and catch the others before they went through the chain link fence. One did get away but I did stuff two others back in the box. Put the wounded one on the other side of the fence and started mowing again. I had several very unhappy mother birds diving at me and carrying on. I looked down just in time to miss mowing over one of the baby birds who had jumped out again. I finished my mowing of that area and then stuffed the bird back in the box. In the meantime wounded bird is laying helplessly on its side but peeps and opens its mouth for food. It is fully feathered and able to move but not hold itself up. I figure it has a broken back. I put it in a gourd that is for birds and hung it in a tree and fed it a worm. (no I did not spit it in its mouth!) Mama bird is calling for it. I hope the little bird dies soon so it is not suffering.While cleaning house (what else is there to do on Mother's Day, lol) I looked out and noticed Jeff and Matt staring intently at something. Turns out it was Nugget. Matt noticed me watching them and stared at me for a moment. They go to their new home next Saturday, a couple in Kingsport who recently lost their dog. They leave just in time too, as I start my week with Harry the next day.
Beautiful spring day here, though a cold front moved through last night and put the temps down in the 30's and 40's and only in the 60's today. A beautiful day for Mom's to enjoy their special day. I had too many chores to catch up on and my only indulgence was a 15 minute nap at noon.
No comments:
Post a Comment