Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sorrel Farm or Chestnut Hollow?

Well I don't have pictures yet, but there is a new horse here. His name is Red and he is a quarter horse gelding, liver chestnut, no markings. Beautiful quarter horse head, big jowl, big eyes.

Not sure if this is his forever home but he is here for now. He is a horse that was in for training at the therapy program but due to the program not happening right now he was not doing anything but being a pasture ornament. He got thrush, then a couple of abscesses so now he needs a little TLC on his toots. Nothing major, just some oxine soaks and daily cleaning.

I picked him up yesterday and put him in a pasture with the minis' overnight. Punky did his 17 hand wears horse armor imitation when first introduced. Squealing and spinning his butt at him and keeping him away from Sunny. Red was like, oh well whatever and just went around eating and relaxing with them. They all did fine. So this morning after I fed I took Red for a walk up to the top, through the woods and along the perimeter fencing. I locked Spirit and Ari in the paddock. Cannon was loose but was totally ignoring him so then I put Red in the roundpen and then let Spirit and Ari out. Ari dashed over to the pen to sniff and bite Red's neck and be a general PIA to Red. Spirit just wanted to say hello and sniff noses. I then let Red out and said, good luck cuz I knew Ari was going to torment him. And he did, all the way down to the front field, biting at Red's tail. Red would kick out and squeak at Ari. Spirit followed along staying out of the ruckus.

I might have to rename Red "Reebok" because he sounded like a sneaker on a gym floor whenever he "squeaked" at Ari. Ari decided he could let Red graze and was stuck to him like glue for about an hour. Cannon totally ignored all of this while napping in the run in shed. Later he introduced himself to Red and they acted like proper gentleman in the process. Red did lay his head across Cannon's back, which did not get any response from Cannon. Interesting.....

Red seems to be fitting right in, hanging out with whoever is near him, he is gentle with the mini's and is pretty mellow about everything so far. I plan on getting him in shape, as he is not muscled right now and he is pretty stiff from protecting his feet. He is very quiet which I like and his training seems very minimal but without a lot of rough edges. I will work on suppling him and getting him more responsive.

I will post some pictures soon. I will want to keep a diary of his progress as I think his body is going to go through some changes.

1 comment:

Lasell Jaretzki Bartlett said...

I love it when a horse like Cannon simply and calmly says hello and carries on like no big deal. Prince and Sofia are pretty much like that, no fireworks when something changes, just a curiosity and openness to the new herd member. Sounds like you'll enjoy having this fellow at your farm.