


Today I came home from trimming horses at the resort and the cats were out back. Dixie Bell wanted in, and Silly was laying on the deck sleeping. I let Dixie Bell in but noticed that Silly was not sleeping, he was dead. Not gone too long but long enough to be getting stiff. There was some yellow stuff on his teeth, on the side of his mouth facing up. I thought poison. I called a gal whose husband is a vet and she is a vet tech to discuss the possibilities because I was thinking about taking him to my vet for a necrospy. Which meant I would have needed to refrigerate the body. Gwen discussed his thyroid condition and his heart. She said the most common cause of death in cats is heartworms and they go very quickly. His heart could have been weak from the hyper-thyroidism too. She said the yellow stuff was most likely bile. I was worried about poison. But Henry James was outside and fine and so is Dixie Bell. Poor thing she probably watched him pass. I walked the yard just to make sure there was not something out there, just in case. Then I let the dogs out.
I decided against a necropsy and I dug a grave for Silly out front. I will miss him. He was a sweet funny talkative kitty who I have cherished for 10 years. He was never afraid of much and loved a good snuggle. He talked to me about his meds each day (he got them in wet food). He liked being outside hanging out with his adopted brother Henry J. He liked catching a cardinal or some other bird on occasion. He was a good cat all these years.
Silly come visit me when you can and show me you are well and free from that old body that was starting to fail you. Rest easy my friend, and say hello to Taylor for me.
Seems my animals are dying of broken hearts...
3 comments:
My heart goes out to you, Kathy...
Thanks Heidi.
I am missing him already. At least his big mouth as he tells me about dinner. I am watching the other kitty closely to make sure she is doing ok. There were close. I should rearrange the photos on that post though, looks like a dead cat with him all splayed out like that. But that was one of his favorite positions! LOL. My heart is not so heavy, I feel his freedom.
I feel your pain-He was agreat cat with a good soul-I'll miss him,too!
Post a Comment