Saturday, April 28, 2012

One Year Ago Today

Last year on this day, we were in shock because of the devastating tornadoes that had passed through our area during the night causing death and destruction.  My good friend Lauren and her family and horses were victims.  They just recently were able to move back into their new unfinished home on their property.

When dawn arrived Chelsea made it plain and clear that she was ready to move on and shed her ailing body. It broke my heart knowing it was her final day.  I made arrangements to drive to UT in Knoxville to let her go. For 11 years she had been by my side and a joy beam that brought me smiles and unconditional love in her very special way.  She was truly a one of a kind dog.  She kept me going when nothing else seemed to inspire me to keep trudging forward.

I still miss her and I still shed tears for her. I know there are people out there who say: "Geez Kathy it was just a dog!"  I don't know how to explain my grief, I just know it is still there, tugging at my heart.  Chelsea taught me that Rotties can be supremely good dogs in many many ways.  I know one day I will own another one.  I know there is a soul out there watching over me with kind eyes and a glimmer of a stubby tail wagging.  Souls may shed their earthly bodies but I don't think they shed all their earthly ways.  Chelsea sent me Max, and he has helped fill a void. He makes me laugh, and he wants to be by my side in an annoying but loving way. He has a sense of humor like Chelsea did.  Sometimes I think he hears heavenly whispers from her that inspires him to be mischievous.


Chelsea, thank you for all your canine lovin' for all those years, and thank you for teaching me to be a better human.  I still miss you!!!

No comments: