Thursday, April 08, 2010

Spring Happenings

Well I haven't been very active with the camera. But there have been a lot of Spring happenings. Spring has sprung and it is a beautiful time to live in Northeast TN! Between the blooming Bradford Pear trees, the Dogwood trees, the Redbud trees and all the blooming flowers every drive is awe inspiring. Grass is coming up faster than the horses can eat it and the wooly coats on the horses are giving way to summer slickness. Some faster than others and some with the help of a good pair of clippers. Cannon being a Cushings horse is a slow shedder so I went ahead and body clipped him. And will do the same for the minis. Though we have a cold snap coming through tonight, it is raining now and will drop down into the 30's overnight so everyone will need their leftover woolies for a few more days.

I started a part time job working for Plant Partners, who is the merchandiser for Lowe's Garden Center. Which means I work at Lowe's outside in their garden center, displaying the plants and keeping them stocked and in shape. Good job to have, except for walking on concrete for 8 hours! My feet were killing me after the first day. Dr Scholls is my new best friend!

I have already put the tractor to good use dragging all the pastures to break up manure with a home made drag using a piece of chain link fence, two old tires I got out of my woods and a cinderblock. Works pretty good. I was able to drag the last pasture today and finished about two seconds before the rains started. Perfect timing.

Easter I spent quality time with the ponies. Spirit and I toured the property for a short trail ride and he was very relaxed and sure footed. I remember when I first moved here, and I hated, HATED walking down from the top on horseback. It felt so foreign to me to be riding at such an angle. Maybe this year I will canter down from the top..... (in my dreams).

Ari and I are working on becoming a team and he is being a good egg and figuring out that carrying a rider does not need to be so troublesome. He has come a long way and has been my best teacher by far. Next month he and I spend a week at Mendin' Fences under Harry's guidance. I am excited about the help I will receive from Harry in May. Harry is an amazing horseman that I think the world of. He has taught me so very much and I am eternally grateful to him for being such a patient teacher to so many of us.

If I was smart, I would take my camera to work with me tomorrow and take pictures of all the pretty flowers in the garden center and superimpose them on some of my yard photos. In my yard the forysthia is as yellow as can be but the leaves will be taking it over in the next few days. I took pictures of it before that you can go find in the archives here. It is a brilliant plant.

No comments: